Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Waxing And Hemorrhoids

Jonathan RUBIN



Synopsis: A man goes
on a tropical island, where he attends a ceremony of "turning of the dead. This experiment marks the beginning of a profound transformation of his perception and his dreams. He embarks on a trip and finds its lightness forgotten.
's Statement:
To make my film "Have you been stung by a dead bee? "I left a story of castaways who survived five years on an island lost in the Indian Ocean. On the night of July 31, 1761, the Utile, a French slave ship, ran aground on a sandbar off the coast of Madagascar. On this island completely devoid of vegetation and shade, the survivors began to build a makeshift boat from the remains of the damaged vessel. For lack space, only the white crew could climb aboard the raft. The slaves were then left with the false promise that they would find them quickly. Forgotten, these men and women in Madagascar, have organized themselves to survive on this remote piece of land. They eat turtles and birds, dug a well to drink water filtered through the coral and managed to keep some fire with debris from the wreckage. Then one day, by chance, fifteen years after the sinking, a corvette of the French navy saw them and collected the remaining survivors, seven women dressed in feathers and braided a baby.
By discovering this story, I was captivated by the will to live of the survivors, which enabled them to withstand isolation, abandonment, disease, and not go crazy in this environment inhospitable. I do not want to adapt this story, but finding that energy or survival instinct survivors who had lived during these years.
It was important for me to turn on or near the site of this resistance in order to find the elements and natural conditions encountered which had been shipwrecked. The filming took place on the small island Nosy Boraha, off Madagascar, a few miles from this place of misery.
Various drivers are then grafted from around the first story. In preparing for the filming, I discovered a funeral rite peculiar to this region called Famadihana, or "turning ceremony for the dead", which involves digging up the bones of the deceased to allow his soul to join the world of ancestors. This is one of the only events specific to the slaves that is still practiced forgotten TODAY! Hui. Faced with many deaths, Presumably the Malagasy have abandoned the ritual practiced to release the souls of their dead. It is through this ritual that I linked my story to the shipwrecked, and I started my film. During the preparation of the shooting, many media have discussed the mysterious disappearance of bees. I'm interested in those who survived. In the hollow of a tree, I filmed a colony of wild bees for relief. This image of empty teeming referred me to the wells dug by the castaways to survive, and holes dug by the Malagasy people to deliver the soul their dead. Gradually, these stories of life and death came together to give birth to my film. Rather than a story written before that I filmed and cut, I worked out this short film in stages, like a journey. I moved to grope with the hesitations and doubts that accompany the first time.
Thus, the pace is rather slow. There is no dialogue, no words are spoken. As I like to think it is a fiction that all plans are documentary, a film where this is not reality that counts but what the imagination can do.

jrubin@dhda.fr

0 comments:

Post a Comment